In which I blog about writing, YA fiction and the occasional sparkly unicorn.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Save a Word Saturday

The lovely bloggers over at The Feather and the Rose have started a cool blog hop! It's dedicated to saving old and archaic words from disappearing into the dust of history. You can sign up and learn more about it here!


Here are the rules:

1.  Pick an old word you want to save from extinction to feature in your blog post. It really must be an old word, not just a big one. We are trying to save lovely archaisms, not ugly giants (for example, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is not an acceptable choice). Luciferous Logolepsy is a great database of lovely words, if you're having trouble coming up with something on your own.

2. Provide a definition of your word. Use your word in a sentence (or even a short paragraph) vaguely related to the theme we have chosen this week. You may also add visual or musical interpretations of your word or your sentence. In fact, add anything that moves your creative spirit.

3. Use as many of the words as you can on the people in your life. Do leave us a note or add something to your own post to let us all know what wonderful old word you whipped out to befuddle your friends and relations.

 This week's theme is:
Snow

My word is Aurated
          adj. gilded
And here is my wonderful sentence:

Alice woke up early that morning. The cold seeped in from outside and wrapped her in thin tendrils. She jumped up and raced the window, her toes curling up as they touched the cold floor. The front yard had been covered with a blanket of white, aurated with glittering snow and untouched by anything alive.

(Just a random note, my original word was "Tarchanjan", from Old High German. It meant "to hide, to conceal" but I can't speak German, so I was unable to use it in a sentence :(  It's a cool word, though. It's theorized that it's where we get our word "dark" from, which is originally from Old English.)

7 comments:

  1. Awesome word. I am fully planning on usuing it at the first opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm going to shove it in to as many sentences as I can from now on!

      Delete
  2. Great choice, and I love your sentences! Waking up to the pure, untouched blanket of sparkling snow is truly magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't wait until it gets cold enough to start snowing here.

      Delete
  3. I love your sentence and the way you built that wonderful word in.

    ReplyDelete